Taking time off is physiologically and psychologically a good thing. With training, you can take advantage of the down time in order to strengthen your “weak links” to help you become the best climber you can be.
Let’s take a look at what we are trying to accomplish within a rock climber’s grip training program:
2. To increase muscle, tendon, and bone strength and the durability of related soft tissues
3. To correct muscular imbalances
4. To toughen the skin
5. To increase blood flow to hasten healing/recovery
6. To increase flexibility
In short, we are developing “strength” through training which can then be applied correctly and more efficiently through actual climbing. Again, none of this is a substitute for climbing itself, but attending to these areas will help you climb more efficiently when you do get the opportunity. The diagram below illustrates the major components that we are training to become stronger – the fingers, thumb, wrist, and elbow/forearm.
WATCH THIS FIRST! – Get a Grip! – With Joe Kinney DVD Trailer Click above to view (Video Has Sound)
Get a Grip! With Joe Kinney DVD
Scenes from the DVD:
Joe Kinney, the man himself, teaches you exactly how he trains
Joe’s Famed #4 close — which
has to be seen to be believed
– Not for the faint of heart!
The Floor Model Grip Machine
Details of “The Secret Weapon”
Let Joe open a beer for you…
In 1998, Mr. Joe Kinney from Bean Station, Tennessee became the first man in the world to close the Iron Mind #4 gripper. You could make a pretty good case that Joe has been the only man to do so. Yes, a few others have added their names to the list since then, but none have had as much of a dominant performance as Joe… to say that he “closed” the #4 doesn’t do it justice, he absolutely mashed the #4 and made it look like a toy. Something no one else has been able to come even close to doing.
Remember, the #4 was the gripper that they said would never be closed and was created as sort-of a joke. At 5’10 and 175-pounds, Joe wasn’t a strongman, or even a weightlifter, but just a guy who made it his own personal challenge to build some of the strongest hands in history. — and he most definitely did. Joe closed the #3… and not long after, stepped into the record books as the first man to CRUSH the 365-pound Ironmind #4 gripper… Well, a short while after he became certified, Joe thought that a lot of people would be interested in learning some of his unique training methods as well as seeing actual footage of his incredible #4 close so he put together a training video entitled “Get a Grip!” with Joe Kinney.
In my opinion, this video containing the best grip training information ever put on film and anyone who has seen it would agree. In recent years though, Joe became busy with some other projects and had to put the video on the back burner. It became unavailable for several years.
In a stroke of luck I was able to track down Joe Kinney. When we met up I asked him if I could re-release his grip video on DVD and he was all for it. We are now proudly making Joe Kinney’s original Get a Grip! DVD from 1998 available once again!
- Joe starts off with a bang, MASHING the Ironmind #4 Gripper ~ the only #4 close ever caught on film
- How Joe performs reps and “severe negatives” with his grippers, and the method he uses to avoid tearing up his hands
- If you want to build strong fingers, you also need strong wrists – learn the innovative way that Joe trained with his homemade wrist roller – “Pay here!”
- Training with the floor-model gripper, necessary modifications, positive reps, negative reps, single hand holds, how to prevent cheating, and more
- Building maximum thumb strength – strong enough to drive your thumb through a full beer can – Joe does it
- “The Secret Weapon” Grip Machine – and how Joe trained with it in order to finally conquer the #4
- Joe’s thoughts on DETERMINATION – easily worth the price alone, and some of the very best training information that you will ever hear
- Footage of Joe “bustin’ beers” – his hands became so strong that he could grab a can of beer in a strangle hold and squeeze it until it exploded, an incredible display of crushing power
The original 1998 Get a Grip! with Joe Kinney video is approximately 41 minutes and is now available on professionally replicated DVD. Also, the DVD also includes a commentary track, added especially for this special edition version. Shot in the summer of 2009, the commentary features Joe Kinney and I talking training, revisiting topics from the original DVD and adding further details and insight.
In the summer of 2009, we finally got a chance to make this happen. I thought that we would get maybe 15-20 minutes of new footage to include in the new dvd, but when two serious grip guys start talking training… well, time slows down a bit.
It sure didn’t seem like it took long but with the cameras rolling, two hours later we had covered everything I could think of: details on gripper training… proper technique for the secret weapon… what a typical gripper routine looked like for Joe… how things changed from training for the #3 and for the #4… building maximum thumb strength… wrist roller training… his special early morning “Testosterone for Breakfast” squat routine… training with The “Monster Gripper” … We not only re-visited information and topics from the original video, but were able to discuss some things that Joe did not get a chance to include.
And so, now you too can learn grip training secrets from Joe Kinney himself with the brand new special edition “GET A GRIP!” DVD which includes the original 1998 video, additional commentary voice track and two more hours of additional interview footage with Joe Kinney that did not appear on the original version. – Quite frankly, there has never been a better grip training DVD ever produced. If you are into grip training in any capacity, then you simply MUST get a copy of this DVD.